Sunday, May 27, 2012

Superman!

Superman's the epitome of superheroes and pretty much everyone's used him in their lyrics or sung about him. Here's my list of some pretty good Superman songs.

(In case you didn't know, Superman's the guy who flies, has super-strength, shoots lasers from his eyes, sports a cleft chin and pulls off red and blue, leotards and capes with a curl of hair falling over his forehead... all while looking like a million dollars.)



1. Waiting For A Superman
Artist: Iron & Wine
Album: Around The Well

This is a folksy-indie song, originally by the Flaming Lips, but Iron & Wine just gets the entire mood right with their tune. Endearing lyrics, 'tis unanswered questions to Superman and a hint of hope for those waiting.

"He hasn't dropped them, forgot them or anything. It's just too heavy for Superman to lift."



2. Superman (It's Not Easy)
Artist: Five For Fighting
Album: America Town

I adore this song, a soft-rock-ish tune that echoes the melancholy in Superman's head. Awesome vocals, grungey-acoustic instrumentals, 'tis the perfect song for wallowing in self-pity, even if you're not Superman.

"I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. It's not easy to be me. Wish that I could cry, fall upon my knees."


3. Superman
Artist: Joe Brooks
Album: Constellation Me

A funny courting-esque song about a guy singing to a girl he likes, wishing he's got a lil' Superman in him. Fun rhythm, easygoing tune this is and Joe Brooks can croon some pretty interesting notes.

"But I can only write this song, and tell you that I'm not that strong. 'Cos I'm no Superman, I hope you like me as I am."


4. Superman

Artist: Ronan Keating
Album: Bring You Home

Cheesy number, this one is, country-pop-ballad with some mellow crooning that might just allow you to excuse Keating for not being Superman. A hint of strings near the chorus, this is a good one for the playlist.


"Well I'm no Superman, But I'll love you the best I can. And you know I'm just flesh and bones, but with you I feel like flying."


5. Superman

Artist: Barbra Streisand
Album: Superman Streisand

God, her vocals are to die for in this song. One could melt into Streisand's fantabulous vocals with this tune, a classic number a lil' cheesy, light instrumentals, a steady rhythm with everything good in between.

"But I am not a bird and I am not a plane, I'm Superman, when you love me it's easy. I can do most anything."



6. The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Heart
Artist: Sufjan Stevens
Album: Illinoise

Jazzy-bluesy, ethereal back-up vocals, quirky instrumentals and some pretty good vocals in this tune, a song about men of steel, 'tis different, a refreshing change with oddity lyrics that requires one to listen a couple of times to get it. Good stuff.

"Man of steel, man of heart, Tame our ways if we start to devise something more, something halfways."


7.Superman
Artist: Bush
Album: Golden State

Here's a man who thinks that Superman just doesn't have what it takes to handle today's world. Alternative rock, with some wicked electric-guitar, garage rock instrumentals and some edgy vocals, this one adds variety to the list.

"Oh Superman,where have you gone? With a little more time and a six leaf clover. Just a little more head to make you bolder."



8. Superman
Artist: Taylor Swift
Album: Speak Now

If Lois Lane was volatile, blonde and an acclaimed country singer, I s'pose you could expect this in her diary. Extremely pop, hints of country here and there, simplistic, straightforward lyrics there's no overthinking here.

"I watched Superman fly away, you've got a busy day today. Go save the world, I'll be around."


9. Superman You're Crying
Artist: SJD (Sean James Donelly)
Album: Southern Lights

Eerie electronica that feels ethereal(the intro's strings), a soulful voice with a pop-rock vibe, Superman You're Crying isn't quite the average electronic tune. It got me, a non-electronic-listener, hooked.

"Superman you're crying, Superman you need a rest from all the constant flying, bullets bouncing off your chest. The world goes on without you."


10. No Superman
Artist: Pat Robitaille
Album: Summer of Love

Folk-vibe, with slow, steady beats and touches of rocks, an interesting arrangement, back up vocals and Robitaille's cool voice, 'tis a really nice addition, a very clean organic tune with an edge. Definitely check it out.

"I'm no Superman, only strong as I can."















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | GreenGeeks Review